About Me

My photo
Mabuhay! I'm an Asian American writer (Back Kicks And Broken Promises, Abbott Press, 2012), martial artist and teacher who was born in The Philippines, raised in Hong Kong and ended up in New Jersey.

21 June, 2013

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait

I received a very flattering email yesterday. 

An intern at the Asian American Writer's Workshop (AAWW) informed me that the entry due date for the 16th Annual Asian American Literary Awards (AALA) is coming up and that my novel, Back Kicks And Broken Promises, "definitely deserves to be considered." For me, this kind of positive unsolicited compliment, is just as validating - perhaps more so - than positive words in a book review; especially for an indie published book like mine since many of us indie authors have to solicit others to review our books. 



I emailed back - and am yet to hear from them - to verify the invitation because I checked years ago and found out, to my disappointment, that the AALA doesn't accept self-published books. After emailing, I went to the link I was given to enter and, sure enough, is still says that they don't accept indies. Well, I'm still waiting to hear from them. Perhaps they've made an exception or changed their rules. Or, maybe they're starting an indie category. Either way, it's still very flattering that an intern got wind of my book somewhere, liked it - or, at least, the premise - and feels that, since it "definitely deserves to be considered," it can stand up to traditionally published literature.

So, while I'm hopeful that I will be allowed to submit my book and, who knows, maybe even win some kind of accolade, I chalk this in the 'good things come to those who wait' category of my life. It's been a little over a year since my book came out it seems that word of my little Asian American/Taekwondo/YA/coming-of-ager may be starting to gain some traction.

I'll keep you posted. 


No comments:

Post a Comment